The top sales professionals work in a variety of industries and all have different styles. Many of the activities and approaches about sales are different but what’s universal about the top salespeople is their positive mindset – in fact, mindset, in most cases is the difference between sales success and failure.
So, how can one cultivate the mindset needed to be a top sales professional?
Here are 10 principles to get started:
- Set Goals: The best sales professionals have quantifiable goals. They know exactly what they have to do and by when they have to do it. This goal-oriented mindset allows these professionals to have a purpose every day which contributes to a positive mindset.
- Learn from Mistakes: Not everything goes according to plan, so it’s imperative for top salespeople to learn from what didn’t work and apply those lessons. Mindset is assisted here because learning allows you to avoid the negative feedback loop that destroys many sales professionals.
- Be Flexible: The best plans don’t account for everything, so you have to be ready to roll with the punches. Knowing that you’re going to have unexpected situations arise reduces anxiety and allows you to flex your creative muscle.
- Know Your Targets: Lack of clarity is a major reason for negative mindsets amongst sales professionals. Knowing your sales targets allows you to take meaningful actions with clarity, confidence and a positive attitude.
- Exude Confidence: Believe in yourself and so many different good things will come to pass. Mindset is in direct proportion to confidence – the greater your confidence the more positive your mindset. Beware of arrogance – that’s an overabundance of confidence. Know what you do well, and know what you don’t do well. Make sure you improve the latter while having faith in the former.
- Show Up: This is the pre-requisite for everything in life. No matter how difficult things get, no matter the obstacles in your way, keep showing up and giving your best. Show up for training and other learning experiences, this builds your confidence and these habits build a positive mindset.
- Live in the Moment: Fixating on past failures and future goals undermine what you are doing right now. Top sales professionals are always living in the NOW because that’s where sales are made. This mindset keeps the hunger to be successful and keeps you putting your best foot forward.
- Seek Feedback: No man (or woman) is an island and for sales professionals, this is especially true. Ask the people you interact with for honest feedback. People are more than willing to help you out – especially your leaders.
- Keep a Gratitude Journal: Putting your wins on paper builds confidence and allows you to keep building a positive mindset. Also, being grateful for what didn’t go as planned will allow you to focus on the lesson rather than the loss or disappointment. This gives you an opportunity to prepare better next time.
- Be a Mentor: Nothing helps create a positive mindset and be a top sales professional than helping others on the way up. Sharing knowledge doesn’t cut into your profits, it adds to a lasting feeling of success. If you’re just getting started, seek a mentor.
In all of these principles, a positive mindset is what allows top sales professionals to maintain the right focus and increase productivity. Incorporate these principles into your work and personal life and undoubtedly you will benefit. Your mindset is the key driver to professional success – when you incorporate these principles, you’re only increasing those chances of success.
Learn More About Our Sales Mastery Program